Eglise Saint-Pierre - Becon-les-Granits
BECON-LES-GRANITS
In the Middle Ages, the village of L'Île-d'Elle was part of the parish of Marans.
Perched on a rocky spur, it is a former 12th-century priory belonging to the Benedictine abbey of Luçon.
The Romanesque church of Saint-Nicolas de Brem dates back to before 1020 and was partially destroyed during the Wars of Religion.
Its origins date back to the 11th century, when Lord Etienne Achard de Mota decided to create a new village and had a chapel built
This church is typical of classical architecture, especially its western façade.
Restoration work is scheduled to take place between 2021 and 2029.