Abbaye Royale
SAINT-MICHEL-EN-L'HERM
The abbey was founded in 682 AD on a limestone islet. Following the Concordat of 1516, it became a royal abbey.
The abbey was founded in 682 AD on a limestone islet. Following the Concordat of 1516, it became a royal abbey.
Great place of pilgrimage in the Middle-Ages, Our Lady of Avesnières became a balisica in 1898.
Arriving from Niort in 1631, the Ursulines bought their property in 1636 and built a chapel.
Although the building has been destroyed and rebuilt several times, part of it dates back to the 11th century.